Teen Advice: Tips For Talking To Your Parents About Menstrual Cups
Discussing your menstrual cycle with your parents or legal guardians can be an embarrassing and difficult task. Discussing alternative menstrual products can be even more of a daunting task, but we’re here to help! Carrying on in part 2 of our Teen Advice series, today we address the gut wrenching task of navigating the tricky subject of talking to your parents about Menstrual Cups.
IT’S IMPORTANT TO NOTE, THE BELOW TIPS ARE MERELY SUGGESTIONS – YOU WILL NEED TO ULTIMATELY MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION, WHEN YOU ARE COMFORTABLE DOING SO. PLEASE DO NOT FEEL PRESSURED OR RUSHED TO MAKE THE DECISION TO TALK TO YOUR PARENTS.
- Get the facts. Make sure you have all your facts organized and ready before discussing alternative menstrual products with your parents. Know just how much it costs, compare the cost to tampons, learn about the materials and processes behind the cup, watch videos, etc.
- Try a pro-con list. Entering into a conversation with a list of pros and cons is also helpful and can keep your thoughts on track. Try to keep your pro/con list unbiased – present all the facts to each side.
- Practice your speech. You may feel like you’re spewing out a monologue, but be careful not to talk too fast and jumbled. You could practice your speech on friends, pets, or even to yourself in a mirror.
- Give your parents time to speak. They may have questions or concerns – let them voice these as well. Remember, a conversation is a two way street. When your parents or legal guardians bring up their concerns or voice a question, revisit bullet point two by making sure you have all the facts.
- Be flexible and proactive. If your parents/legal guardians have a question you don’t have an answer to, be flexible. Let them know you’re happy to look further into it. If they’re very persistent with their concerns, be open to suggestions.
- Try to keep emotions out of it. Be prepared for an answer you may not like to hear. It can be frustrating meeting resistance from your parents on something you’re passionate about, but try to keep anger out of the conversation.
Do you have a tip not listed above? Let us know in the comments or join the discussion on Facebook!
Want your own SckoonCup? Shop now at SckoonCup.com! Your period should be a breeze, and with SckoonCup, an internally worn menstrual cup, it will be. Discover a clean, effective alternative to tampons or disposable pads. Made from FDA approved soft medical-grade silicon, it’s safe, reusable, environmentally friendly, and pretty, too!