Sckoon Organic Cloth Menstrual Pads FAQ
Organic Pads Collection:
1. Why should I choose organic cotton washable postpartum/menstrual pads over disposables?
SckoonPads are made of 100% certified Egyptian organic cotton; the softest, most absorbent, and breathable cotton in the world, making them comfortable and irritant free. Our SckoonMaxi, designed for heavy flows, are also perfect for postpartum use, providing cushioning and extra comfort to ease postpartum pain. While the convenience of disposables may seem obvious, other things are not so apparent.
- Various chemicals, including dioxin, have been found in almost every major brand of menstrual pads and tampons available. Dioxin is a known carcinogen and even low levels of exposure have been linked to cervical and breast cancer, endometriosis, and immune system suppression.
- If dioxin isn’t enough to give you pause, pesticides used in cotton cultivation are showing up in disposable pads and tampons too and have been linked to birth defects, infertility, breast cancer, sterility, and respiratory problems.
- Also, the plastic and glue backing on disposable pads reduces air circulation and creates a stagnant environment in which some bacteria thrive, causing vaginal irritation and yeast infections.
Why is organic cotton so important?
- To make one non-organic cotton pad set, it takes about one third of a pound of chemicals, such as chlorine, pesticides, dioxins, and heavy metals including chromium to fix colors. Chromium is considered dangerous to people, wildlife, and also is damaging to the earth.
- According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, more than 53 million pounds of pesticides and 1.6 billion pounds of synthetics were used in cotton production in 1996. Cotton, which constitutes 3% of the world cropland, uses about 23% of the world’s insecticides to grow it.
2. How are Sckoon pads different from other washable pads?
At Sckoon we want you to feel good about your period, happy with your washable pads, and above all, comfortable and safe. When designing our pads, we’ve taken all your needs into account. Sckoon products are better than other washable pads that you’ll find on the market because we offer:
- A variety of colors and prints, all made with low impact dyes.
- Three sizes to choose from; Mini, Day, and Night
- 100% organic certified Egyptian cotton
- A unique design that allows you to replace the liner when you need to, rather than the whole pad
- 100% organic cotton thread
- Nickel free snaps to avoid allergic reactions and skin irritation
How Many SckoonPads Do I Need?
Of course it s going vary from woman to woman, but a good number to start with is 2 Mini pads, 4 Day pads, and 2 Maxi pads. If your flow is lighter, you may only need one Maxi pad. Additional Day and Maxi pads, or extra liners, are a good idea for heavier flows.
How to Choose?
Our new organic cotton pad collection comes in 2 sizes
Maxi : 12.50 inches
Snap-on standard: 9.5 inches
How to Care?
Sckoon Pads are made of 100% organic cotton which contains natural oil. To maximize its absorbency, wash Sckoon Pad before first use to wash off its natural oil. For used Sckoon Pads, rinse and soak them with laundry soap or other cleaning agent in cold water, then put them in the washing machine with your regular detergent. You can have them air-dried or use a dryer with low temperature.
We recommend 4 Day pads, 2 Mini Pads and 2 Night pads to start with. If your flow is heavier than average, you can add more pads, or liners.
Just like any other menstrual products, you need to change Sckoon organic cotton menstrual pads within a reasonable amount of time to prevent accidents from happening. Perhaps you may want to start using Sckoon pads in light days and once you get used to, use them in heavy days and night time.
Sckoon Organic Cotton Night Pads best suit for heavy flows, night time and postpartum. They are 13inch or 34 cm long and come with 2 organic cotton liners as a set. While this is usually enough for heavy flows, you can also add liners for extra protection.
Sckoon Organic Cotton Mini Pads best suit for incontinence. They are small (8 inch or 22 cm long) to carry in your bag and super-soft just like other Sckoon pads. You can use them with or without the liner that comes with the pad. Sckoon Organic Mini Pads help prevent irritation and allow your skin to breathe, which is important for people who are wearing them everyday.
A zip-lock bag is a handy solution but you can invest in a cute nylon carry purse for storing fresh or used pads and liners. As soon as you come home, soak the used pads in cold water with laundry soap and wash them as usual.